Thursday, 16 July 2015

An open Letter to Discriminatory Recruiters and Employers

Dear Recruiter,

I am quite annoyed by your question regarding my son and I find it incredibly insulting. Your comment was demeaning to my professional expertise and belittles my incredible work ethic and experience, which has absolutely nothing to do with my ability to birth a child.

You have absolutely no right to ask about my family and 'how I will handle it'. I have been working full-time for years with a child, and guess what? I am a single mother too! It's illegal to discriminate on the grounds of sex. I am sure you wouldn't have asked a man with a child: "Is 'it' going to cause problems?"

I would formally like to withdraw my application from this role, and certainly do not wish to work for a company if this is their attitude.

I would also like to be removed from your database.

I suggest you consider a little more professionalism when speaking to hard working, intelligent, forward thinking candidates, and remember that this is the 21st century.

Please do not contact me again.

Regards,

Modern Single Mum

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Indeed!
      In a surprising turn of events I was called by the Director of the company who apologised to me repeatedly.
      It still took me by surprise and left a bad taste in my mouth. It just highlights the constant struggles we have to deal with on a day-to-day basis. As if things weren't hard enough!

      Thanks for reading.

      Delete